Risk/Crisis Communication

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 18 - Common sense, but to whom?

I read Chapter 18 and thought it was kind of common sense. To me, it makes sense to make sure that your target publics have access to the type of technology that you would like to use. Though there are times when what seems like common sense to one person is not common sense to another. An example that comes to mind is computer help. For me, it is a crisis when my computer does not work. I was trying to install my internet software and I noticed that the instructions said that if you could not get the program to work, you should go online. Does that make any sense? How can I go online when I cannot get my internet to work? This is a good example of why as a risk and crisis communicator, you need to think about everything. How will someone view your organization if you do not have information available in a format they can use?

In today’s society, we often take the internet for granted. It is so easy to put information about a risk or a crisis on the Internet, that we may forget that not everyone has access to a computer or the Internet. People may also not be able to navigate the Internet. While my generation and my parents’ generation are pretty technologically savvy, my grandparents’ generation is only slightly technologically savvy. When it comes to communication with the older generation, communicators should have information available in a variety of formats. While web sites are a great resource, there could also be a phone number that people can call for information if they are more comfortable talking to someone than looking things up online. While phone calls are time consuming, it may be a small price to pay to have one of your key publics view your organization favorably.

I thought the e-mail tips were very good. In fact, as I was reading, I thought of several people who could learn the tips and apply them to everyday life. I know everyone probably knows someone who puts the red exclamation point, which signals urgent, on every e-mail they write or forwards so many e-mails it’s disgusting. After a while, I know I stop paying attention to e-mails those people send, so a communicators, we need to make sure we do not abuse our e-mail privileges so that when we do send out an urgent e-mail, people pay attention. Specific subject lines are also important so that people know if the e-mail applies to them. If they can tell that the e-mail applies to them from the subject line, they will be more likely to open it and read it, I know I am. I know from personal experience the importance of subject lines. I often send myself e-mails without subjects figuring that I will remember what I sent. I never do. I try to keep this in mind as I send e-mails to myself and others and I am getting better.

As a communicator, we also have to remember that e-mail may not always be the best way to communicate with people. I know I prefer to get e-mails, but my grandma responds better to written letters that arrive in the mail. Once again, a difference in generations, but something that needs to be kept in mind when communicating with key publics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home